First You Have to Make a Mess…

Making a Mess

Last weekend I began working in the back bedroom, moving forward through the house. Sledgehammer in hand, safety goggles and respirator on my face, I tackled the walls.

IMG_1171

View from the dining room/future kitchen into the front bedroom and the living room to the left

There is something cathartic about smashing a wall all to hell. I figure I’m working my way through my adulthood, adolescence, and shortly I’ll be going through my tumultuous childhood and birth.

On Saturday, Dave went by to see the progress and knocked down a couple sections of ceiling.

Old kitchen/future utility room

Old kitchen/future utility room

And then today, all three of us went over and got to work. Dave and Dee removed all of the old ductwork in the basement while I removed lathe in the front bedroom and dining room.

View from living room into front bedroom with the dining/future kitchen on the right

View from living room into front bedroom with the dining/future kitchen on the right

After that, we all took turns demolishing more of the walls, removing lathe, and sending plaster showering down from the walls.

IMG_1164

The goal is to remove all of the lathe and plaster walls and be able to run electrical, gas and water in the areas they need to go. After that, insulation (something I had neglected to add to my list of expenses), and drywall.

View from the back bedroom looking into the bathroom and the front bedroom and living room beyond that

View from the back bedroom looking into the bathroom and the front bedroom and living room beyond that

We don’t have much room to work any longer. Time to load a truck up with some of this lathe and take it to the dump. The plaster can be shoveled into the middle of the room for now.

The back bedroom

The back bedroom

I’m hoping we can borrow a friend’s truck next weekend and make a run to the dump. We are running out of room to walk!

Kiva Loan

I went ahead and got the private crowdfunding for the Kiva loan in motion. Kiva had only approved us for $500, which was 1/20 of what we had asked for. But I get it, I’m an unknown quantity. I was told that after I had paid the first one off, I could re-apply for another one. I’ll do that, and hopefully be able to qualify for a larger one next time.

The more we can do with zero interest loans, the better off we will be. One way or the other, the project will go through and be finished by the end of this year. Hopefully most of it will be at zero percent interest instead of 15%-30%!

 

This entry was posted in DIY, The Cottage. Bookmark the permalink.