I seem to make recipes that use a lot of egg yolks, leaving me with a large supply of egg whites. I hate the idea of them going to waste. Egg whites can be frozen, so I simply measure and label them and stick them in the freezer for future use.
And here is one of the great uses for egg whites!…
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
- 8oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups coconut (shredded or flaked)
- In small stainless steel bowl, melt chocolate chips over saucepan of boiling water.
- In large bowl, whisk together egg whites, cocoa powder, sugar, salt & vanilla. Add coconut and melted chocolate, mix well.
- Chill for one hour, then preheat the oven at 325 degrees F.
- Make small mounds on baking sheet covered w/parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes or until shiny.