Fried Green Tomatoes
- 3 large green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or use 4 oz milk mixed w/1/2 tsp vinegar)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups vegetable or peanut oil
- Lay the sliced tomatoes in a shallow baking pan lined with paper towels. Sprinkle them with salt and let them sit about 30 minutes, turning them midway through.
- Pour the buttermilk into a shallow dish.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour cornmeal, pepper, garlic powder, and 3/4 tsp salt. Dip the tomatoes into the buttermilk; then dredge them in the seasoned flour-cornmeal mixture. Set aside on a large platter.
- In a large skillet or pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Deep-fry the tomatoes in batches (being careful not to crowd them) until golden brown.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp mustard (Creole or whole-grain)
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp horseradish sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp hot sauce
Whisk everything together, cover and chill. Use as dip for the fried green tomatoes.