This is my own unique take on a Zuppa Toscana. Considering my extensive changes on the original recipe, I’ve renamed this to Creamy Italian Soup.
Creamy Italian Soup
- 20 oz sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock* + 2 cups water
- One 12 oz jar of roasted red peppers, drained and diced
- 4 cups of greens, chopped in bite size pieces (kale, collards, Swiss chard, spinach – any of these)
- 1 cup dry pasta (shells or other smaller bite-sized varieties)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- pepper to taste
*I actually used the four cups of whey that was left over after I made some homemade cheese. I then added a tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon chicken base.
I didn’t have my sausage defrosted and ready to go, so I started the broth a’ bubbling and added the pasta. About 5 minutes later I added the roasted peppers and kale and by then the sausage had defrosted enough to cook up with the onions in the skillet and I added them as well. I cooked it just long enough for the pasta to be tender, then turned off the heat and added the cream.